We are a well-established local Birmingham firm, McGrath & Co, that has become part of GT Stewart which is a renowned multiservice law firm committed to access for justice. Our lawyers specialise in criminal defence, family law, housing, civil liberties and human rights. We are a Legal 500 and Chambers UK recommended firm who are currently recruiting a Duty Solicitor to join our Crime Team in our Birmingham office.
This is a full-time position with the successful candidate being part of a dynamic and growing team.
You will be responsible for:
• Attending police stations
• Representing clients detained at police stations
• Handling own caseload of criminal defence cases
• Conducting advocacy in the Magistrates’ Court (and possibly the Crown Court although this is not essential)
• Preparing cases for trial and appeal
• Solicitors with at least 1 -4 year’s PQE in criminal matters
• Crime duty accreditation is preferred
• Excellent communication and advocacy skills
• IT proficiency
• Ability to manage a demanding caseload with minimal supervision
• Demonstrates a pragmatic, professional and positive approach
• Have a passion for publically funded work
• Attention to detail and the confidence to work independently as well as in a team
• Excellent client and team building skills
• IT proficiency
• Ability to work to tight deadlines and remain calm whilst under pressure
You will receive a positive and supportive working environment with a team that prides themselves on promoting from within, exposure to industry specialists and a fantastic opportunity to start or continue your development in an award-winning law firm.
This position pays £34,000 to £40,000 depending on experience.
Please send your CV and covering letter to email@example.com
(Unfortunately due to the volume of applications we are unable to respond to all candidates or provide feedback on your application, if you have not heard from us within 10 working days of the application deadline then you have been unsuccessful on this occasion.)