Greg was a founding partner at Brady Eastwood Pierce & Stewart in the 1990s before starting GT Stewart in 2003. He was the youth justice practitioner on the Law Society Criminal Law Committee for 9 years during which time he dealt with many policy issues including the latest revision to the sentencing code for children and young people. He was called to give evidence to the ‘Carlile Inquiry’ a Parliamentary Cross Party Inquiry into the Youth Justice System and his views were widely quoted in the final report. He is a co-author of the Criminal Appeals Handbook (2nd Edition Bloomsbury October 2019). He is currently contributing to Ministry of Justice steering groups on the use of recorded evidence in the youth court and developing Quality Youth Court Advocacy. He has recently been consulted by the SRA to assist with designing best practice standards in youth justice.
Apart from conducting serious and complex criminal litigation Greg has been involved in many reported cases in the appellate courts challenging unfair aspects of youth court practice including the use of detention for children and special measures. He has also successfully challenged many funding decision of the Legal Aid Agency.
He is ranked in the current (and past) editions of the leading guides: Chambers & Partners and the Legal 500. In 2019 he received the Youth Champion – Outstanding Achievement Award at the Youth Justice Legal Centre annual Youth Summit.
Awards & Nominations
- In 2014 shortlisted for the Modern Law Awards Lawyer of the Year 2014 GT Stewart was shortlisted for the Modern Law Awards Law Firm of the Year.
- GT Stewart was also shortlisted for the Legal Aid Practitioners Group Legal Aid Lawyer of the Year Awards (known as the LALYS) – Legal Aid Firm of the Year 2014.
- Greg Stewart has been shortlisted for Lawyer of the Year 2015 and GT Stewart Solicitors for Law Firm of the Year 2015 at the Modern Law Awards 2015
Member of the Tate, fan of Liverpool FC and a regular at Dulwich & Sydenham GC
Has appeared in many high profile and sensitive cases in the Crown Courts and Court of Appeal
Memberships & Accreditations
- Law Society Association of Higher Court Advocates: www.sahca.org.uk
- Criminal Courts Solicitors Association: www.lccsa.org.uk
- Criminal Appeals Lawyers Association: www.cala.org.uk
- Youth Justice Legal Centre: www.yjlc.uk
- London Criminal Solicitors’ Association; Advisory Board member of the Youth Justice & Legal Centre; Committee member Criminal |Appeal Lawyers’ Association
Greg regularly appears on radio and television discussions of criminal justice issues and he frequently lectures on all aspects of criminal practice. Most recently he was a speaker at the Just for Kids/Garden Court Judicial Review in Criminal Proceedings Seminar 29 November 2022.
What the legal guides have said:
“Practice head Greg Stewart is ‘creative and dynamic”
“Greg Stewart looks after his clients with extraordinary care and commitment, and has an extraordinary legal brain; a man to have on your side.” [Legal 500 2020]
“Greg Stewart is an experienced solicitor advocate handling criminal defence and appeals work relating to serious criminal charges including murder and drugs conspiracy. He has a strong specialism in issues surrounding youth justice. One client describes him as “brilliant and very intelligent.” [Chambers & Partners UK 2020]
Contact Greg Stewart
Share this profile