Relocation Orders2024-04-19T11:41:37+01:00

Relocation Orders

If either you or your former partner want to move overseas with your child or children and do not agree about this, you will need to apply for – or challenge – a relocation order.

We act both for parents wishing to move overseas with the child or children, and for those wishing to prevent such a move by their former partner.

You want to relocate

If you want to move overseas with your children and the other parent objects to this, you will have to make a very strong case that the move is in the best interests of your children. The court will always put the welfare of the children first.

We can advise you on applying for a relocation order and all the issues that the court will consider in coming to a decision.

The other parent wants to relocate

If your former partner wants to relocate without the children, that is seen as their own decision and the court will not get involved, although you should still be able to apply for a child arrangements order to manage contact; and for financial support from the parent living overseas.

If your former partner wants to move abroad with the children and you object, we can help you to challenge a relocation order. As above, the court will always consider the best interests of the children, but will also take your reasons for objecting into account.

We can advise you on all aspects of challenging a relocation order and all the matters that the court will take into account in coming to its decision.

Our Family Services

Speak to a Lawyer in confidence 020 8299 6000

Securely message our Lawyers

Confidential Enquiry
Chambers Firm Logo 2

Our expert solicitors are ready to help

The Legal 500 – The Clients Guide to Law Firms

GT Stewart has established itself as a leading firm in the UK for criminal, housing, mental health and family law, specialising in private cases and also Legal Aid work.

We pride ourselves on regular referrals from other firms and agencies

We are known for our tenacity when representing those engaged in challenging the State or defending themselves against a prosecution.