- Location: Camberwell Green & London City
- Role: Managing Director and Senior Solicitor
- Practice Area: Criminal Defence, Appeals and Police Misconduct
Greg has been conducting criminal litigation and related appeals for 25 years.
He is the youth justice practitioner on the Law Society Criminal Law Committee. He regularly provides continuing education in the area of youth justice for various providers including the College of Law; LexisNexis and WestLaw. In January 2014 he was called to give evidence to the Parliamentary Cross Party Inquiry into the Youth Justice System and his views were widely quoted in the final report – see the Carlile Report dated June 2014. In July 2017 he will be contributing to the Youth Justice Legal Centre Annual Conference.
He is a co-author of Criminal Appeals Handbook to be published by Bloomsbury in 2015.
He has been involved in many reported cases in the higher courts challenging aspects of youth court practice. He has been ranked in the current (and past) editions of the leading guides to the legal professions: Chambers UK; the Legal 500 and Super Lawyers. He is a member of the Law Society Association of Higher Court Advocates and the London Criminal Courts Solicitors’ Association.
He has appeared on many radio and television discussions of legal topics including most recently the documentary Guilty by Association broadcast by BBC in September 2014 on the doctrine of joint enterprise.
The current edition of Chambers and Partners states:
Sources applaud “outstanding solicitor” Greg Stewart for his high-profile criminal appellate work. He is described as “very professional, extremely hard-working and very good with his clients. He provides extremely high-quality representation.”
The current edition of the Legal 500:
At GT Stewart Solicitors, Greg Stewart is ‘extremely dedicated’ and leads a busy appeals practice. The group also has a specialist youth court team, and handles a large amount of publicly funded legal aid work.
Awards & Nominations
- In 2014 Greg was shortlisted for the Modern Law Awards Lawyer of the Year 2014 GT Stewart was shortlisted for the Modern Law Awards Law Firm of the Year.
- GT Stewart was also shortlisted for the Legal Aid Practitioners Group Legal Aid Lawyer of the Year Awards (known as the LALYS) – Legal Aid Firm of the Year 2014.
- Greg Stewart has been shortlisted for Lawyer of the Year 2015 and GT Stewart Solicitors for Law Firm of the Year 2015 at the Modern Law Awards 2015
- 2003 Solicitor Advocate of the Higher Courts (Crime)
- 1993 Admitted as Solicitor of the Supreme Court England & Wales
- 1990 Law Society Finals, College of Law Chester
- 1989 Bachelor of Laws (Hons), University of Leeds